Do you need to invest in a diversity and inclusion certification for yourself (or your biz)? 67% of job seekers say diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is essential in their decision to stay in a job…or apply for a new one.
Do I need a DEI Certification?
You don’t need to have a diversity and inclusion certificate by law. But it can help deepen your commitment to DEI at work (and beyond). More and more companies are investing in inclusion programs to nurture their company culture at all levels. Even Hollywood is calling for more diverse representation.
Here are 5 examples of DEI-approved courses if you want to get “diversity certified.”
5 Examples of Diversity and Inclusion Certification Courses
The examples below are just a few of many (if you do a quick online search for diversity certificates), but these bubbled to the top!
Some are free…others are paid. Some take an hour to complete, and others can take up to 3 months.
Here’s the list:
1. Diversity Certification Program: Cornell University
Cornell University offers an online DEI certification program geared toward HR managers and executives. You have 2 months to complete the course. Each of the diversity certification programs has less than 35 students per class, and you’re required to commit to 3-5 hours per week.
You’ll also get the chance to join Symposiums, a weekly Zoom with Cornell faculty, and chats with other experts to discuss DEI issues. After completing the diversity and inclusion certification training, you’ll have access to Symposiums for 1 year.
Here are some topics you cover in this program:
- Improving Engagement
- Counteracting Unconscious Bias
- Diversity and Inclusion at Work
- Fostering an Inclusive Climate
The course costs $3,600 (or $900 monthly).
2. Workplace Diversity Certification: Compliance Training Group
The Compliance Training Group offers 5 Diversity in the Workplace training certification options. The topics are for employees and supervisors. Here’s a list of their diversity training certification topics:
- Diversity and Inclusion: Essential Concepts
- Diversity and Inclusion: Unconscious Bias Awareness
- Diversity & Sensitivity Training in the Workplace for Supervisors
- Diversity & Sensitivity Training in the Workplace for Employees
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Workshop Edition
These online diversity certification programs are accessible 24 hours a day, so you can work at your own pace. DEI certification for employees takes about 60 minutes and 90 minutes for supervisors.
The cost ranges from $19 to $30 per person. Contact the Compliance Training Group for “Workshop Edition” pricing.
3. Inclusive Leadership DEI Certification: edX
EdX is an online educational platform created by a network of universities worldwide. These universities include MIT, UC Berkeley, Harvard, Tokyo Tech, and the University of Cambridge, to name a few.
“Inclusive Leadership” is a diversity and inclusion certificate program online. It’s run by Catalyst and geared towards HR pros and managers. This is a 3-month course with a 2-hour commitment per week. The course covers:
- Becoming a Successful Leader
- Get Beyond Work-Life Balance
- Leading with Effective Communication
The course is built to work at your own pace, and it costs $147 per person.
4. Workplace Diversity Training Certification: ESSEC Business School
The ESSEC Business School offers a Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace certificate program through Coursera. The 9-hour course is spread over 1 month with a maximum of 3 hours a week…depending on the topic.
Here’s what you’ll learn from the course:
- Hi Diversity! – A primer on what Diversity means
- Categorization and Diversity Perceptions
- Disrupting with Diversity
- Diversity and Inclusion around the World
This diversity and inclusion certification course is in English but has Arabic, French, Portuguese (European), Italian, Vietnamese, German, Russian, and Spanish subtitles.
This is a great way to try a DEI certification course for FREE. If you pass all the quizzes, you can purchase a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
5. Women in Leadership Diversity Certification: Inspiring Positive Change
Women in Leadership: Inspiring Positive Change is a month-long diversity and inclusion certification. It empowers leaders in advancing women’s careers as they foster diversity in the workplace. Case Western Reserve University in Ohio offers this DEI certification. Once you register to be part of the class, you get access to 4 course modules through Coursera:
- Yourself as a Leader – Developing your Leadership Identity
- The Current State of Women’s Leadership at the Top!
- Women’s Leadership Presence
- Leadership Tools for Women
Each FREE DEI-approved course takes about 3 hours to complete, including watching videos and answering quizzes.
Why I Wrote This?
Along with a diversity certification, you can fine-tune your JD’s to remove bias (and create consistency) with Ongig’s Text Analyzer.
- Diversity and Inclusion Certification (Human Rights Careers)
- What’s To Come In 2021 For Diversity, Equity And Inclusion In The Workplace (by Ashley Stahl)
- Best Diversity Training Programs (The Balance SMB)
- Compliance Training Group’s Diversity & Inclusion in the Workplace Training
- How to Choose the Best Certification Program : A Comprehensive Guide (SelectSoftware Reviews)
- Unsplash Cover Photo (Sharon McCutcheon)
- Cornell Diversity and Inclusion Program
- Become a successful leader in today’s global economy (edX diversity and inclusion certification for leaders)
- Diversity and inclusion in the workplace (by ESSEC Business School & Coursera)
- Women in Leadership: Inspiring Positive Change (by Case Western Reserve University & Coursera)