The Diversity and Inclusion Manager role has been rising since 2022, according to Linkedin, and at the start of 2023.
Why? Most organizations realize the importance of a diverse workforce. A Diversity and Inclusion Manager helps organizations achieve their goals for creating inclusive workplaces.
In this post, you’ll find:
- The answer to “Who is a Diversity and Inclusion Manager?”
- The answer to “What does a Diversity and Inclusion Manager do?”
- Diversity and Inclusion Manager salary averages and recommendations
- A Diversity and Inclusion Manager job description template you can tailor to your needs.
Let’s dive in.
Who is a Diversity and Inclusion Manager?
A Diversity and Inclusion Manager guides your company’s diversity initiatives. They advise employees and managers on best practices to foster a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive work environment.
They usually report to the Chief Diversity Officer and work with a dedicated DEI team with different roles and responsibilities.
3 common skills required for a Diversity and Inclusion Manager are:
- diversity program development
- diversity training
- leadership development
I talked to Maximilian Wühr, Co-Founder at FINN, to understand the key skills he looks for when hiring a Diversity and Inclusion Manager. This is what he had to say:
“The main skills I look for in a DEI Manager are communication and leadership. Promoting inclusion efforts means listening and conveying messages to people. If one can’t listen to what employees are saying or what their concerns are, they won’t be able to come up with the right inclusion solutions.”
What does a Diversity and Inclusion Manager do?
The most common responsibilities of a Diversity and Inclusion Manager include:
- Creating and deploying new diversity programs
- Advising senior leadership on strategic D&I plans
- Working with different departments to ensure diverse hiring processes across the business
- Conducting research, getting data, and reporting to track important D&I metrics
- Driving diversity change in the organization through staff engagement
- Addressing discrimination issues faced by employees from diverse backgrounds
- Creating diversity and inclusion messages for various units
- Staying up-to-date on the latest diversity and inclusion practices
Diversity and Inclusion Manager Salary
The salary of a Diversity and Inclusion Manager varies because of factors like your company size, education, certifications, experience, and additional skills.
According to Glassdoor, the estimated salary for a Diversity and Inclusion Manager is $103,366 per year in the United States. The average salary is $79,434 per year.
And the estimated additional pay is $23,932 per year. Extra pay may include profit sharing, cash bonuses, tips, and commissions.
Diversity and Inclusion Manager Job Description Template
The responsibilities of a Diversity and Inclusion Manager might vary depending on the type, size, and diversity mission of a company.
But any Diversity and Inclusion Manager job description should have some of these important sections:
- About the Diversity and Inclusion Manager role (requirements and daily duties)
- About the DEI team structure and the person the Diversity and Inclusion Manager reports to
- Diversity and Inclusion Manager benefits (e.g., perks like paid volunteer time for diversity initiatives or paid vacation)
- Diversity and Inclusion Manager salary range (including bonuses for achieving diversity goals)
Here’s a diversity and Inclusion Manager job description template to guide you:
About the Role
Our diversity and inclusion team seeks an eager and experienced Diversity and Inclusion Manager to join our HR team. Your main responsibilities will be to provide professional, strategic, and managerial help for the organization’s diversity, inclusion, and equity initiatives.
You’ll also educate teams on best practices for hiring inclusively. Moreover, you’ll ensure to check job descriptions for the inclusive and correct language. You’ll also keep up to date with national and local workplace laws.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have the ability to solve complex problems and excellent communication skills. And have good project and time management skills.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to create and deploy programs designed to attract, retain, and advance diverse talent
- Providing diversity training to team members, internal stakeholders, and the leadership team
- Ensuring job descriptions have inclusive language
- Identify and change internal policies and procedures to align with the company’s DEI goals
- Suggesting employees’ benefits
- Tracking and monitoring the company’s DEI efforts
- Identify opportunities to link DEI initiatives with ongoing business development initiatives
- Guide employee resource groups programs
- Ensure the organization complies with the country’s workforce policies
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field
- 4 years of demonstrated experience in advancing organizational change and implementing a successful DEI strategy
- Good knowledge of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness best practices
- Good social skills and the ability to enhance a credible relationship with staff and leadership
- Ability to manage many projects at the same time time
Salary & Benefits
The budgeted salary for this role is $100,000 – $125,000.
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Employer retirement contribution
- Gym reimbursement program
- Flex spending account
- Hybrid work optional
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We embrace diversity and equality in a serious way. We are focused on building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills, and views. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Creating a culture of Equality isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also the smart thing.
Remember this is an example job description template; not everything will be relevant to your company job. Make any necessary changes to the text to suit your organization’s needs.
WHY I WROTE THIS:
A Diversity and Inclusion Manager is vital to help you achieve your inclusion efforts. Our mission at Ongig is to support your commitment with our Text Analyzer Software. Book a demo today to ensure your JDs are inclusive, so you attract diverse talent and meet your D&I hiring goals.
- LinkedIn Jobs on the Rise 2022: The 25 U.S. roles that are growing in demand (by LinkedIn)
- LinkedIn Jobs on the Rise 2023: 25 U.S. roles that are growing in demand (by LinkedIn)
- Maximilian Wühr, Co-Founder at FINN
- Diversity And Inclusion Manager Salaries (by Glassdoor)