You hear a lot about employer branding these days but what about ’employee’ branding? What I mean by employee branding is the concept of specifically leveraging your employees as brand ambassadors to help you better recruit.

I was inspired last week by the terrific post: Stop Employer Branding, Start Employee Branding, by Tom Laine out of Finland — it included a number of great data points supporting the value of employee branding.


I’ve included Tom’s employee branding tips as well as others here so you’ve got them all in one place.

The first 7 data points came from research done by MSL Group, the strategic communications and engagement company. Items 8 through 12 come from Tom’s article. You’ll notice that the data suggests you have to nail the engagement of both your employees/team as well as your CEO and senior leadership.

  1. Employees have on average 10 times more connections then what the brand can reach in other channels.
  2. Brand messages reach 561% further when shared by employees compared to the same messages shared via official corporate accounts. (this was supported by the Oracle test we wrote about recently, Oracle’s employee testimonial on Instagram wins by a landslide).
  3. Companies with engaged employees outperform those without by up to 202%.
  4. Only 26% of employees are engaged, leaving 74% of employees as upside for your employee branding.
  5. 77% of buyers are more likely to buy from a company whose CEO uses social media (might this suggest that 77% of candidates will apply to a company whose CEO uses social media?).
  6. 82% of buyers trust a company more when the CEO and senior leadership are active on social media.
  7. 98% of HR managers say social networking is an important tool for recruiting, retaining and engaging employees.
  8. 92% of an employee’s Twitter followers are new to the brand (that might stimulate some social recruiting ideas for you!)
  9. People trust other people 90% of the time, but they only trust official corporate messages 33% of the time.
  10. 70% of customer brand perception is determined by experiences with people!
  11. Content shared by employees received 8 times more engagement than content shared by the organization.
  12. An employee is twice as trustworthy as the CEO.

In a future post, I’ll cover some specific tips on how to leverage your employees as social ambassadors to extend your employee brand.

Rob Kelly

Co-Founder and CEO at Ongig
Ongig transforms your job descriptions to quality candidates and diversity. Ongig supercharges your job descriptions through video, images, pictures, chat, social sharing, microsite creation and much more. Jobs can be more easily found through Artificial Intelligence-based job search and all pages are Mobile and SEO optimized. Ongig's professional copywriting team will even rewrite your job descriptions. Early clients of Ongig include Salesforce, Yelp, GoDaddy, Verizon, Intel & Autodesk.

Related Posts

5 Easy Ways to Turn Every Employee into a Recruiter A core belief of mine, and Ongig's, is that every employee should be a recruiter. Some of us call this 'Employee Branding' and others call it employee...
5 Ways to Utilize Your Employees On Your Job Ads If you are not utilizing employee advocacy on your job descriptions, you are missing an easy opportunity to add social proof (a proven technique at pe...

by in Employee Branding