Every year, my team and I here at Ongig aim to share the best data we’ve got on top applicant tracking systems (ATS’s). We take a very simple approach: we review the top employers we’re already talking to (Ongig provides job description software solutions to these same types of companies) and record which ATS they are using.
Our goal is simple: to give insights to you heads of talent acquisition/HR to help you choose an ATS. Below is more on our methodology.
We’re not trying to be Gartner Group here — we’re just providing what we know because we don’t see anything better on the Web.
Methodology & Background on this Top Applicant Tracking Systems Report
- Source of Employer List — A list of the top 1,063 companies in Ongig’s CRM (the great Nutshell.com) along with what ATS they use.
- Enterprise/Mid-Market Breakdown — The 1,063 companies include 908 Enterprise companies and 155 Mid-Market companies. We could have focused purely onh Enterprise-sized companies but we also include some Mid-Market companies that are in high-growth mode (typically growing at 100%+ per year).
- Geography of Employers — All are headquartered in North America and have global operations.
- Method of ATS-Check — Conversations with employers or checking their company career site’s HTML code.
- Employers Using More than One ATS — If a company is using more than one ATS, we gave both ATS’s credit. For example, Amazon uses both iCIMS and Taleo and so both ATS’s got credit.
- Homegrown ATS’s — About 3% of the top employers we reviewed (such as Apple, Facebook and Qualcomm) use a homegrown ATS. We excluded them from our data.
- Using a Job Board as an ATS — .9% of the top employers (including Omnicom and Payless Holdings) use a job board like Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor and TheMuse as their ATS. We excluded them from our data. On a related note, we did not include LinkedIn Talent Hub ATS in this report because we can’t tell the difference between a career site that uses LinkedIn Talent Hub ATS versus one that simply links to job postings that they are buying on LinkedIn).
- ATS Providers with More than 1 ATS Solution — There are 2 companies (Oracle and ADP) providing multiple ATS’s. Oracle offers Taleo, Oracle Cloud, PeopleSoft and HRMS; ADP offers Recruiting Management, Workforce Now and Candidate Care). For the purposes of market share %s, we list their marketshare by solution (e.g. we list Oracle’s Taleo and Oracle Cloud separately) as opposed to lumping them together (i.e. “Oracle”).
Here’s the Top ATS Report:
Top Applicant Tracking Systems Used By Enterprise & Mid-Market
Below is a bar graph of the first 18 of the top applicant tracking systems used by the 1,063 employers.
Here’s the complete list of all 40 ATS’s used by the 1,063 employers. You can sort each column by clicking the top of it.
Complete List of Applicant Tracking Systems Used By Enterprise & Mid-Market
|Rank||Applicant Tracking System||Market Share (%)|
|2||Taleo (by Oracle)||14.68%|
|3||SuccessFactors (by SAP)||11.57%|
|6||Kenexa-Brassring (by IBM)||5.27%|
|10||Ulitpro (by Ultimate Software)||2.54%|
|11||Recruiting Management (by ADP)||2.16%|
|12||Dayforce (by Ceridian)||1.41%|
|14||PeopleFluent (formerly PeopleClick)||1.03%|
|15||Oracle Cloud (by Oracle)||0.94%|
|19||HRMS (by Oracle)||0.66%|
|21||WorkForce Now (by ADP)||0.56%|
|23||Gr8 Hire (by Gr8 People)||0.47%|
|24||Paycor (formerly Newton Software)||0.38%|
|33||PeopleSoft (by Oracle)||0.19%|
|40||Candidate Care (by ADP)||0.09%|
|40||Deltek (formerly HRSmart)||0.09%|
|40||Dynamic (by Microsoft)||0.09%|
|40||PeopleMatter (by Snagajob)||0.09%|
Notable Customers by ATS
Below are sample clients of each top ATS.
- Bank of America
- Raytheon Technologies
- Dell Technologies
- Amazon (also an iCIMS customer)
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- UnitedHealth Group
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Compass Group
- Fujitsu Network Communications
- American Airlines
- Bank of Nova Scotia
- XPO Logisitcs
- Amazon (also a Taleo customer)
- Allied Universal
- Dollar General
- General Dynamics
- Enterprise Holdings
- Universal Health Services
Greenhouse Software Customers
- Wunderman Thompson
- Sonic Drive-In
- Endurance International
- Supplemental Healthcare
IBM Kenexa-Brassring Customers
- Walgreens Boots Alliance
- CVS Health
- Walt Disney
- General Electric
- Ford Motor
- Darden Restaurants
- Dollar Tree
- Best Buy
- Publicis Groupe
- Illinois Tool Works
- Dentsu Aegis Network
- Avery Dennison
- Expeditors International
- Foster Farms
- Genuine Parts
- News Corp.
- Frontier Communications
- WW (Weight Watchers)
- Mercy Corps Global
- Veeva Systems
- Palantir Technologies
- Coupa Software
- Community Health Systems
- EMCOR Group
- Thor Industries
- Heico Companies
- Mercy Global Corps (also a Jovite customer)
- Plains GP Holdings
- Crown Castle
- O’Neal Industries
- Ascend Learning Company
A number of employers have migrated to a new ATS. Below are the ATS’s that the 1,063 employers most often migrated to (since we last checked which ATS they used).
We number the ATS client bullets to show trends (e.g. it might be of value to observe that 18 companies switched to Workday whereas only 2 moved to Taleo (reminder: these migrations are only from the 1,063 companies we tracked).
2 companies we track (Trimble and Sada Systems) migrated from Google Hire (the ATS built by Google). Google sunsetted the Hire ATS on September 1, 2020.
ATS Migrations to Workday
- FedEX (from Kenexa-Brassring)
- Raytheon Technologies (from Kenexa-Brassring)
- Walmart (from Kenexa-Brassring)
- Trimble (from Google Hire)
- Tableau Software (from Homegrown)
- CrowdStrike (from Jobvite)
- Rosetta Stone (from Jobvite)
- Finish Line (from Kronos)
- Zoom (from Lever)
- Aptiv (from MyStaffingPro)
- OneSource Vital (from Newton Software)
- Coca-Cola (from SuccessFactors)
- Sysco (from SuccessFactors)
- Citigroup (from Taleo)
- Dow (from Taleo)
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals (from Taleo)
- The Parsons Corporation (from Taleo)
- Boeing (from Taleo)
ATS Migrations to Greenhouse Software
- Restaurant Brands International (from Brassring)
- SADA Systems (from Google Hire)
- Asana (from Homegrown)
- Wunderman Thompson (from iCIMS)
- Interactive Brokers (from iCIMS)
- Crestwood Behavioral Health (from Job Board)
- New Signature (from JobScore)
- OpenTable (from Jobvite)
- Wayfair (from Jobvite)
- Creditas (from Kenoby)
- Snowflake Computing (from Lever)
ATS Migrations to iCIMS
- Align Technology (from Jobvite)
- Ulta Beauty (from Kronos)
- ZeniMax Media (from Taleo)
ATS Migrations to Lever
- Curology (from Greenhouse)
- Coupa Software (from Jovite)
- Veeva Systems (from Jobvite)
- McGraw-Hill (from Taleo)
- Onfido (from Workable)
ATS Migrations to SAP SuccessFactors
- Reynolds American (from ADP)
- Insight Enterprises (from Greenhouse)
- Magna International (from Lumesse)
- Lear (from Silkroad)
ATS Migrations to SmartRecruiters
- Publicis/Epsilon (from Taleo)
- Tradeshift (from Lever)
ATS Migrations to Taleo
- Fannie Mae (from Kenexa-Brassring)
- DuPont (from Workday)
Other ATS Migrations
- Wiley (to Ascendify from SuccessFactors)
- DHL (to Avature from Cornerstone OnDemand)
- MEWS (to BambooHR from Workable)
- IBM (to IBM Kenexa-Brassring from SAP SuccessFactors)
- SelectQuote (to BreezyHR from iCIMS)
- Bluegreen Vacations (to Dayforce (by Ceridian) from Ultipro))
- Tenneco (to Cornerstone OnDemand from Silkroad)
- GroupM (to Jobvite from IBM Kenexa-Brassring)
- Bozzuto’s (to Kronos from Cornerstone OnDemand)
- Global Blood Therapeutics (to Paycor from Newton Software)
What did we miss?
If you feel any of our data is inaccurate/incomplete, please leave a comment below or ping me at https://www.linkedin.com/in/robkelly/. My team and I will do our best to update the content.
Why I wrote this?
Ongig serves talent acquisition and diversity leaders with our Ongig job description software. Our philosophy: if we can help HR leaders with ATS decisions, perhaps they’ll consider buying our software too. 🙂