Hawking.org will be posting an official job advertisement for a Technical Assistant to Professor Hawking in mid-January. Here is an unofficial summary of the job from their Web page.
Here’s a video of Hawking from TED:
Technical Assistant To Stephen Hawking
Primary Purpose: To allow Prof. Hawking to function within the physics community and as a public speaker.
Compensation: £25,000 pounds (around $38,500) per year (no equity (This is an administrative post funded by the University of Cambridge.)
- Managing national and international travel for Prof. Hawking and his care team. Expect to spend around 3 months per year abroad!
- Development and maintenance of Professor Hawking’s communication and speech systems
- Procurement and maintenance of his wheelchairs and accessible van
- Preparation of lecture graphics and public speaking
- Dealing with the media and press
- Answering inquiries from the public and maintaining the website
- Manage media requests and keep database of Q & A’s
- Manage national and international contracts, negotiate fees
- Collaborate with publishers and publishers agents
- Assist Prof. Hawking’s graduate students
- Collaborate with the many charities (of which Prof. Hawking is Patron)
- The PA has the task of advertising and assisting with the search for the GA when the 12 month contract (or extended contract) has expired.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Maintenance of “black box” systems with no instruction manual or technical support
- Computer literacy
- Electronics knowledge
- Ability to speak to a large audience
- Ability to show others how to use complex systems
Perks & Past Highlights Of Hawking’s Past Personal Assistants
- Setting up the zero-gravity trip with Peter Diamandis and then seeing an ecstatic Stephen Hawking (the boss!) floating in the Zero-Gravity Corporation comet on TV and on every news bulletin.
- Helicopter trip over Cape Town.
- Private jet travel.
- Launch of a major Darlow Smithson/Discovery TV series ‘Stephen Hawking’s Universe’
- U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom Award ceremony
- Presentation of The Cosmos Award from The Planetary Society
- Chelsea Flower Show – SWH meets HM The Queen in the MND Garden
- Launch of “The Grand Design” at The Royal Albert Hall
- Cosmos Award for Outstanding Public Presentation of Science, by the California-based Planetary Society.
You might also want to check out NewScientist’s interview with a tech lead for Prof. Hawking).
Estimated Start Date — Mid-February.
Apply — Click this application image or here to show your interest (t
Latest posts by Rob Kelly (see all)
- Google’s New Applicant Tracking System Adds New Clients - June 16, 2017
- 10 Examples of the Best Job Ads in 2017 - June 13, 2017
- 10 SEO Tips for Writing Job Descriptions - June 8, 2017